Monday, April 2, 2007

ANTICIPATION

I was walking around in the yard yesterday looking at the blank slate of my flower beds. Oh the work that needs to be done. The Dame's Rocket (I think that is what it is) above is one of my favorite things. I dug this out of the woods at our farm. It is quite a spreader and I absolutely love it. Can you believe it's considered a weed? It is! The beginnings of this beautiful plant are scattered everywhere in this particular bed and I cannot wait until it is blooming in all it's glory! 

 Austin is on spring break this week and bless his heart has started it off by being sick. We're headed to the doctor's office this afternoon to see if we can't get him back on his feet to enjoy the rest of his little vacation. He has just recently recovered from surgery. He was born with an undescended testicle and had it removed and a hernia repair done in February. I take care of many post op patients at work. I have not had one to compare with this little trooper. He had a hard time keeping his oxygen saturation up post op and we ended up staying overnight at Children's Hospital. He was amazing. He did everything we asked him to do and never complained. Here is a picture of him with his blowby oxygen. If this can't melt a mother's heart, nothing can.

He's back to normal now and has been released to run and play. He's a happy camper. But I will tell you that spending time at Children's Hospital is a very eye opening experience. One can really learn to count their blessings there. It's heartbreaking to see children suffering. Some of those children will never leave that hospital. To see parents struggling under unbearable sadness and grief is so painful. I knew that Austin would be fine. Many parents there don't have that assurance for their child and I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine the pain of watching your child suffer in pain knowing that there would only be more suffering to follow. I thank God every day for the health of my children.

Once he started feeling better they brought him a Playstation and movies to watch. If you're lucky enough to have a Children's Hospital near you please support their fund raising efforts. From the moment we walked in we were met with joyful, helpful people to make things easier. They truly know how to take care of children there. I have always said that I couldn't work pediatrics. I now know this for sure. It's hard enough for me to take care of the adults I take care of and not "bring it home" with me. There is no way that I could keep my objectivity if I worked with children. Thank God there are those that can. Bless them, bless them, bless them!!!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was such a great entry. I love the whole concept of the Children's Hospital, and am on their donations mailing list. One of the few checks I'm ever truly happy to write.

Garden looks great, by the way, and thanks (you know why :)  )