Thursday, February 9, 2006

I collect quotes. Even as a little girl, I would write down things that I heard people say that struck a cord within me. I have pages and pages of quotes. Today I received a quote in email that struck me:

"Love changes, and in change is true." --Wendell Berry

I know Wendell Berry. I went to grade school with his daughter, Mary. I used to spend the night at their house a lot. It was always an adventure. Almost a step back in time to a more simple way of life. I loved going there.

I don't know in what context the above quote was made. And, as with most quotes, it will mean something different to everyone. For me, it is mysterious. What does it say to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People always ask "what is love?"....and "what does love mean to you?"...The answer to those types of questions lies in what love does.
 At the top of the list of what love actually does is ....change things.   Its love that can take a dried seedling and have it flourish into a beautiful plant!  Its love that warms the heart of child and have them grow and develop with corage and self esteem. Its love that opens the heart of another, who has closed it off for fear of pain.
The list goes on, the meaning the same, Love changes everything!...and yes Mr. Berry, in the changing ....we can see, that love is true!

Thanks Melissa for bringing this up....you are always changing!!!
Peace & Warmth.....Marc :)

Anonymous said...

I've read "The Dance" many times, and it never seems to have a concrete meaning to me, other than to say that love is quite capable of enduring all the changes that come in our lives, and that no matter what the situation may be, the love that is true, remains true. I've never found occasion to read a discussion of his works before, so this was a welcome change as well!

Jimmy