Wednesday, August 23, 2006

It's Official

Austin is now, officially, a second grader. I wish all kids could love school as much as he does. He was so excited to be going back to school. He didn't even mind the obligatory back to school pictures that Mom makes him pose for. Just for the record, I didn't pick out his new shoes. HE DID! I wanted white, he wouldn't hear of it. I remember when Emily and Sarah were little, they were easy to buy shoes for - we agreed! Patrick on the other hand, always wanted the opposite of what I wanted him to have. Must be boys.

Anyway, I drove him to school and walked him to his new classroom. His teacher this year is the daughter-in-law of a good friend of ours. She told me last year that she had heard such good things about him from his teacher that she would do everything in her power to make sure he was in her class this year. She came through and he is thrilled. Before we went to her classroom he had to go get a hug from his first grade teacher, Ms. Brown. Ms. Brown graduated from high school with our youngest daughter, Sarah Kate. He loved her and just wanted to touch base I guess with the very familiar before venturing into the big world of second grade.

We went shopping after he got home yesterday afternoon for the school supplies on the list from school. It was a zoo in the school supplies aisle of every store we went to. We found everything except a simple package of pencil top erasers and 2 dry erase markers. Wouldn't you think that simple pencil erasers would be an easy thing to find? Not so. I bet I end up finding them at the grocery store.

Being the scrapbooking crazed Mom that I am, we had to take a picture of all the supplies spread out on the table for his "back to school page". To further demonstrate how eaten up I am with this scrapbooking thing; I made other purchases at the store where we bought the supplies, but I made sure to pay for them separately so that I could have a separate receipt for the school stuff for the scrapbook page! Even I realize how kind of ridiculous that sounds, but a person's not really crazy if they think they're crazy, right? Well, isn't that right? I don't care, I plead Momitis!

So, school is back in session. All is right with his world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he is sublime!     Know that you are envied!    May this new year of school bring him and you to a higher level of understanding!    Marc :)