Friday, August 22, 2008

MY GARDEN

It all starts in the Spring with this, and my unbridled enthusiasm!

 

To plant something in dirt and then water it and tend it is one of my favorite things to do. I wish I had a daily picture of these plants over the past 3 months to see it truly happen in front of my eyes, but this will have to do:

Taken the first of June:

Here is the same plant taken today:

Below is one of the hanging baskets that I purchase already planted from a local annual farm. They are so beautiful when I first hang them and they satisfy my hunger for beautiful full flowers while I'm waiting for my newly planted things to "take off".

These hanging pots tend to get very tired long before the end of summer so I cut them back severely about a week and a half ago. I wish I'd taken a picture of them right before I trimmed them back because they looked very bad and not a whole lot better after I trimmed them. However, they've recovered somewhat and while they don't look as pretty as they did when they were new, they look a heck of a lot better than they did a couple of weeks ago.

Below is a picture of my impatiens bed. I use lots of Osmokote when I plant these because they have a lot of growing to do to fill in all the space that I need them to fill. Doesn't it look pitiful in the beginning......

And here is what that bed looks like today! I love the pink and orange together!

Worth the wait, huh?

Here is one of the twin pots that I plant and place on the bench seats on the deck:

And here is what that same pot looked like today. I love it!!!

And here are just some shots I got while outside in the garden today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful yard and garden you have.  Thanks for sharing.  Sue

Anonymous said...

Oh, we WERE separated at birth!  And if we lived down the street from each other, we'd be making these treks to the nursery and Home Depot together.  My flowers are never as gorgeous as yours, though...I'd count on you to give me pointers!  I really love these pics, Melissa!

:)

Judi

Anonymous said...

Can I go too Judi?  We could really have some fun in the dirt!  Thanks again Mellissa for you comment on my journal.  If you check, I add a "in response to" at the bottom of my entries where I can respond to your comments.  It makes it easier to have a chat!  Sue