Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Austin's place in this family

Now I ask you to look at these pictures and tell me that Austin isn't a very lucky and loved little boy!

(Patrick and Austin eating at Skyline while out with Emily in June)

Ok, so I'll admit that I'm a terrible journal keeper. It's not that I don't think about it, I do. I will work out a wonderful entry while I'm doing laundry, or watering flowers, or doing dishes and then...well, I just don't ever sit down and enter it. You should read some of the wonderful things I've come up with in my head! No, really, they are very good!

(Austin and Sarah Kate on our Green River Camping/Boating trip this summer)

I was just looking through some pictures that I have on the computer and realized that I have darn cute kids! Then I was struck by how very lucky our little Austin is to have the siblings that he has. While sometimes I feel bad that he hasn't had someone close to his own age to play with on a daily basis like Patrick, Emily and Sarah had. He's definitely missed out on a lot by not having that but what he has instead is something that not too many kids get and that's having three grown up siblings that think he's the absolute cat's pajamas. Plus he has Sarah's husband, Bennie and Patrick's fiancee Amber that are so good to him. I mean this kid has it made. He gets to do a lot of things that he wouldn't ordinarily get to do if it were just his Dad and I to entertain him. He is so used to being around adults that he actually prefers adults to kids if the truth were known. That isn't always a good thing necessarily but it's the fact of the matter.

(Austin and Emily playing around at Grandma's when Em was home in June)

Being older parents this time around makes me think of things that I didn't really worry about with the first three. While we did have a will when they were little directing that they would be raised by my sister if anything were to happen to us, it wasn't something that I really worried about happening. With Austin, that possibility is a little more uppermost in my mind at  the time. I hope that I'm around to attend the graduations of Austin's children but if I'm not and even if I'm not around to attend Austin's graduation from high school I know that he will be well loved and taken care of by three of the  best siblings a kid could ever have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Austin is an amazingly lucky kid to have so many people who love him. I believe no matter what, his older siblings would step up to the plate and made sure he was taken care of should anything happen to you. You did a wonderful job raising your kids hon. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

He is one lucky boy, and yes you do have very cute kids, all of them!  I'm so glad you posted these.  It's good to get caught up!

:)