Friday, December 1, 2006

Twenty five  years ago right this minute I was preparing for the birth of my first daughter, Emily. Her birth was to be induced the next morning and I was a nervous wreck wondering how I was ever going to handle two little ones under the age of two. It's all so silly to me now when I think of the anxiety I felt on that night. And believe me, I was in a panic.

Her birth turned out to be the easiest of all my children. From first contraction to her grand entrance was a grand total of 45 minutes. If  I'd gone into labor with her at home we would never have made it to the hospital. I am so grateful that she didn't make her appearance on the side of  I75 during rush hour.

I always do this; get nostalgic on the night before their birthdays. I can so easily remember the thoughts and feelings I was having as I anticipated each of one them. This was in the "old days" when Mommy's and Daddy's didn't have a clue if they were having a boy or a girl. But I so desperately wanted her to be a girl. I had visions of pink nightgowns and ribbons on everything. When she was born (weighing in at a whopping 9 pounds), I could barely see her for the tears in my eyes. This beautiful, beautiful baby girl...and she was MINE! She was breathing and healthy and wailing her lungs out! She had a head of dark hair and the prettiest complexion. She looked like a little Eskimo baby. I was in love with her from the start.  I always said she was my Christmas baby. When I saw the above picture it reminded me so much of her when she was little. If my scanner was working properly I would have used her picture, but this is as close as I can get to showing you what my little girl used to look like.

And now she is turning 25 and I marvel at where the time has gone. She can't possibly now be older than I was when I gave birth to her. She has grown up into a beautiful and gifted woman. I am so proud of her.

So, Emily, Happy Birthday! And God, thank you for sending her to me.

No comments: