Friday, May 27, 2005

I'm supposed to have some wonderful advice for my daughter, the bride.

Being a collector of quotes and a sappy sentimentalist, I should have no trouble whatsoever coming up with some lovely thing to say to my daughter as she is about to be married. I am, however, stumped.  I've been married for 27 years. I have seen a lot. I have had my illusions trampled and I've done my share of trampling illusions. I'm an eternal optimist and a complete romantic at heart. But I know the problems they will face. I know the heartache she will suffer. The  mother in me wants to wrap her up in a protective net that will prevent any unhappiness from ever touching her. The woman in me knows that this is impossible. It's not that I don't believe in marriage, I absolutely do. It's not that I'm miserable, I'm not. I just remember so well the lofty ideas I held when I was a young bride and so much in love that I thought I was bulletproof. I've spent about two hours pouring over quotes about marriage and love. There are so many perfect ones, and yet nothing says what I want to say to her. Maybe it's because marriage is so complex, love is so dimensional, and the human heart is so multi-faceted that it just cannot be tied up with one simple quote. I remember the little thing my mother said to me on the day of my own marriage. We were sitting at the bar in the kitchen having coffee together and she simply said to me. "I have only  two things to say to you on this day: Pay the bills together, and if you take care of the little things, you won't have to worry about the big things." Not bad advice.

Bennie, Sarah's husband-to-be is a wonderful guy. They have dated for seven years and he absolutely worships the ground she walks on. I couldn't hope to find a more wonderful guy for her. I love him like he is my son. I have every reason to believe that they will make a wonderful marriage and be very happy. It is very refreshing to see the wonder in their eyes and realize that they are so hopeful and optimistic about their future life together. I want them to quard against all the potential problems that could come between them. I want them to know, what they can't possibly know at this happy time of their life. I want to make them wise and patient in a way that they can only become after years of  living together and weathering storms. Idon't need a quote...I guess I need a miracle. Any ideas?

 

 

No comments: