Thursday, May 26, 2005

Try to look at this planter and not feel happy!!

You know, it's the simple things in life that sometimes give the most pleasure. I love flowers, I love colorful flowers. I am so happy with the way this planter turned out. Everytime I see this, I can't help but smile. I wanted to fix two of them exactly alike, but wouldn't you know I could only find one planter like this. All winter long I look at my hundreds of gardening books and magazines and plan the season's flower gardens. Planting season here in our area  begins the day after Mother's Day (danger of frost is gone then), I hit the garden center like a kid with a pocket full of money in a toy store. I bring home wagons and wagons of flowers. All annuals, much to my husbands chagrin. I know that perennials are more practical and I have lots and lots of them in my yard, but you can't beat annuals for color. Besides, I love to get my hands dirty and play in the dirt. Two years ago my daughter, Emily, moved to Florida and took her cat. I didn't realize what a rabbit deterrent that cat was until she was gone. The first year, the darn rabbits ate $600 worth of annuals in about two days. I bought more, they ate more. I gave up. The next year I planted again, bought a spray for the flowers to keep the rabbits away that cost a flippin' $38 a bottle. It worked, until it rained! They ate my flowers, I bought more flowers and more spray. Last summer, my daughter and son gave me a golden retriever puppy for my birthday. This year, he is a big enough threat that the rabbits haven't eaten a single plant....YET! When I brought this year's crop of flowers home, my husband snickered and said, "Hmm, more rabbit food, huh?"  We will be leaving for Tennessee for the wedding next Friday morning....Tucker will be going to a kennel while we are gone. I am so afraid that I will come home to the leftovers of a rabbit banquet. I used to think of rabbits as "bunnies", cute, sweet little bunnies. Now I know exactly how Mr. McGregor felt and think that rabbits are anything but cute.

No comments: