Sunday, October 30, 2005

BOOFEST

We took Austin and his little friend Danny to  Boofest tonight. We went on a hayride to a pumpkin patch (a very picked over pumpkin patch, I might add!) and picked a pumpkin. We played hide and seek in a corn field maze, jumped and played in a big 'ol pile of leaves, and got to pet some ponies. It's fun to see things through the eyes of children. They show us how to giggle and abandon the seriousness of adulthood.

When our older kids were little  they didn't get to take friends very often because the three of them took up all the room in the car. It's strange having this little guy all by himself. He'd be bored to tears with just his Dad and I along on these adventures, so we usually take a friend. It's a whole different dynamic than taking siblings. Don't know how to explain it really, but I was struck by it tonight; how different things are this time around with him than it was when his brother and sisters were little. I think I watch with different eyes this time around too. Older eyes. Eyes that know that I'd better squeeze out all the juice this time because I know how quickly these times will be gone. How quickly he'll be too old for pumpkin patches and hay rides with  Mommy and Daddy.  I want to slow down time.  Freeze these moments of his childhood innocence and wonder.

His first five Halloweens I got to choose his costumes. I dressed him in cute  costumes. I dressed him as cows and bears and puppy dogs. Last year when it came time to get a costume he informed me, "I'm not being something "cute" this year Mommy". I kind of bit my lip and asked him what he wanted to be. I was so disappointed when he informed me he wanted to be a Ninja. I, of course, didn't let on that it wasn't completely cool with me and I bought him a Ninja costume. So I was not looking forward to hearing what he wanted to be this year. He's decided he wants to be a Vampire. So, the Vampire make up is bought and the various components of a vampire costume are being  collected. I knew that "cute" wouldn't last very long. But as long as there is breath in my body, he'll be the cutest little Vampire on the block.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

....wonderful entry!........ Sadly I inform you that you stand just a few Holloweens away from hearing him say "this year I will be trick or treating with my friends, Mom you can wait home for me"....  However...you are very fortunate to be able to hear the ticking of the clock, a sound that reminds  us how precious and dear each day is, so when that time does arrive, when he reaches out for more independence, you will give it graciously!    Peace~~~Marc :)

Anonymous said...

I'ts because they don't argue and fight with friends! lol! I have 2 out of the nest and two still in the trenches of the nest, when I want a quiet weekend at home....I send my Daughter to my sisters to hang with my niece and I take my nephew to hang with my Son..... then there is no sibling rivalry, just peaceful bliss! ( I take the boys and leave the drama 14 & 15 year olds can create for me sister to deal with......I'm sucha stinker! lol But then again I had my fill of drama with my 2 older daughters! lol