Friday, October 21, 2005

Happy Mom

Patrick had his first date with Amber last night. I think I was more nervous for them than I was on the night of my first date. I carefully and lovingly ironed his jeans (yes, his jeans!) and his shirt. Grilled him on where he was taking her, suggested he stop and buy her flowers on his way to pick her up (he said, "Mom, it's our FIRST date, I can't do that on our first date!). I think he was a bit nervous, and was trying very hard not to show it. He left to pick her up and I said a silent prayer that they would fall madly in love. I have a bit of a window on the goings on between these two that is just too much fun. You see, Amber's cousin Michelle works with me. Amber and Michelle are best friends (this is how these two got hooked up in the first place, Michelle and I behind the scenes!) Anyway, Michelle and I both want this to work out. We know, even if they don't yet, that this is a perfect match. I'm getting to hear everything that Amber says about Patrick and Michelle is getting to hear everything that Amber says about Patrick. Aren't we awful!!! It so much fun! I almost feel like I'm back in high school again, with all the "he said - she said" stuff. They went out to dinner and then sat and talked for a long time. She works about an hour and a half away and has to get up very early in the morning, so he didn't want to keep her out very late. I was dying for him to get home and see what he had to say. It was like pulling teeth to get anything out of him, and I was trying to be very careful not to seems too interested. He told me where they went to eat, told me that they talked about: family, friends, work, people they knew in school that the other might know (they went to different high schools in the same county (school rivals). He said he enjoyed himself. This of course was the "guy version". Michelle called me this morning and I got the "girl version", much more detailed!!! LOL  It was raining last night and Amber told Michelle that she had one regret. She said that when they came out of the restaurant Patrick said, "Hey, it's raining, we could dance in the rain", she told Michelle that she laughed, and now wishes she'd grabbed his hand and danced with him in the parking lot. Ohh, I wish she had done that, I think he would have loved that! Wouldn't that have been the cutest thing to see? Anyway, he asked what her plans were for the weekend and she said not much, so he said he'd call her Saturday. I have a good feeling about this. I think they're both the type to take it slow and cautiously. Amber told Michelle that she didn't want to get her hopes up and be hurt. Something tells me that she doesn't have to worry. I think that is exactly what he's thinking too. Silly kids....I'm already picturing what my grandchildren will look like!

No comments: