Saturday, October 29, 2005

What's wrong with people????

Someone stole my little bag last night at work.

A few weeks ago my sister was selling Longaberger totes, bags, and purses. She had this cute little fabric bag that I just fell in love with. It was a madris plaid  with a denim pocket on front and had two little leather handles on top. It was small. It kind of looked like a fabric luch bag. It was much too small for me to use as a purse, but I instantly thought us using it at work. I had a supply of ink pens (some very cool ink pens I might add), my calipers, various medical scissors, a little emergency kit, Advil (for ME!), tape, a change purse for the vending machines when we miss dinner (which is most days), a few little touch-up make up thingies, a medical spanish translator and other little insignificant things. There are little alcoves outside our patient rooms where we sit to chart and get medications together from the overhead locked cabinet. The really weird part is that last night early in my shift I just had a feeling that my bag was going to be stolen. I just knew it!!! I usually carry it with me from patient room to patient room and always leave it sitting on the little counter of the alcove. Needless to say, when I'm being called from room to room  so often, sometimes it's left outside of a room that I am not in at the moment. About 10:00 I needed my calipers to measure and ECG strip. When I went to get it, it was gone. I looked everywhere and it just wasn't to be found. I don't think I've ever had something stolen from me and it sure isn't a nice feeling. Now granted this was not some big expensive item. But it was MINE. It was useful to me and I liked it. I was surprised at how I felt. Aside from being mad that someone would take somehthing that didn't belong to them , I felt violated. And then I was surprised that I felt violated. It was a bag for cryin-out-loud! Why did it make me feel so violated? I later realized that it also had the receipt I'd printed from the internet that proved that I'd renewed my nursing license for this year. And, it had the printed proof that I'd taken a stroke assessment test with the American Stroke Association that I needed to turn in to my manager. I bet whoever took it was surprised when they got it to their car and realized it wasn't the mother-lode that they thought they were getting.

I hope the  Bird-of Paradise flies up their nose and that they have a really rotten day today.

No comments: