Monday, December 12, 2005

COMFORT FOOD

  When I was a child I was a very picky eater. I was forever spending the night with one friend or another and my mother  was afraid that I wouldn't like what they had for supper and would go to bed hungry. So, she taught me the pure joy of bread and butter, reasoning that if I didn't like anything else that was served I could make it through the night if I had a couple of pieces of bread and butter. I wish she'd never taught me this. I absolutely love bread and butter. Some girls drown their sorrows in Ben & Jerry's. I drown mine in bread and butter. Doesn't matter what kind of bread it is, and margarine will do when there is no real butter. I judge every restaurant on their bread and butter. I cannot ever, for any reason, NOT have the bread and butter. Diets be dammed. Don't get between me and my bread and butter.  

 I was scheduled to work this evening. I had my shower and was getting dressed for work today when they called and told me that our census was down and I was being put on call (we take turns taking call) until 7 pm. I asked, as I always do what the odds are that I would be called in. I was told slim to none. So, I decided to start baking cookies. Wouldn't you know, at 3:30 they call me in. Grrrr! Not that I minded working today, I was all set to go when they called me off. But when I got interested in something else and had to stop in the middle and get myself to work, well, it just messed up my aura! I got to work and was told I had three admissions coming up from the ER and a vascular post op patient coming. Admissions are a lot of work. One admission a night can really screw you up and here I was getting four of them. Suffice it to say, work was not fun tonight. But do you know what got me through the last 2 hours of my shift? The thought of the bread and butter I could have when I got home.   I've just finished eating my bread and butter. I'm almost Zen-like now. I know that I could be almost in a pleasure coma if I go back to the kitchen and fix myself one more piece of bread and butter.  

 Never let it be said that I don't have any self control!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol. I'm with you. bread and butter is one of my comfort foods. Guess it is from childhood. When money was tight Mom would make us bread and butter and sprinkle a tad bit of sugar on it. I have to watch myself when stressed because bread and butter is the first thing I reach for. And once I get started it is hard to stop. NOT GOOD! lol
Merry Christams to you and your loved ones.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY

Anonymous said...

Oh my!  Not only are you a fun gal but a "cheap date" as well!  I can only imagine the big smile on your sweet face when a date would show up with a loaf of Wonder Bread and exclaim..."I stopped off for some "takeout" dinner"...LOL
  I'm a fool for bread too! Pass the butter!  Marc :)