Saturday, December 3, 2005

Last night was the annual Cardiology Christmas party. One of the cardiology groups that come to our hospital throws this bash every year for the nurses and and doctors from area hospitals. I've never gone before. I've always worked for others so they could go. After hearing all the stories of the past several years, I decided that I wanted to go and see the carnage for myself.

It was very nice. Good food and a free flowing bar. Good music and a large dance floor. It's amazing how different people are outside of the work invironment. I've never seen most of these people in regular clothes. I'm amazed at how different people look when we're not wearing those lovely shapeless scrubs we seem to live in. And when the ever flowing coffee is replaced by everflowing wine, beer and vodka concoctions the conversation takes  on a whole different tone as well.

The youngest group from our unit (monitor watcher and unit secretaries),full of liquid courage left around 10 o'clock to go ride a mechanical bull at a local bar. I wonder how many of them will show up for work tonight and how many bones were broken. Several of them were supposed to be at work at 7'oclock this morning. I'll bet at least half of them called in. My best friend from work just called me to tell me that she won't be at work tonight. Something about throwing up all night and a migraine headache that has rendered her unable to sit upright for any extended period of time. Yes, work should be a blast tonight.

We have one token male that works on our unit as a monitor watcher. I saw him several times in corners working his questionable charm on some surprising people. My mind has worked overtime wondering if he was at all successful in wooing someone to go home with him and what the fall-out will be in terms of working relationships.

Our charge nurse was led out of the place  at around 10:30. She had that "zombie" look. I don't think she will even remember being there. She couldn't have had a good time, she looked pretty miserable. I imagine she will feel even more miserable today and she will probably  be a little sheepish about coming to work on Monday.

And I know you're all wondering about "moi"! Well, I was a happy little thing! My husband got me a pretty little drink when we got there. I asked what it was and he said, "just drink it". So, being the obedient little thing that I am, I did. What he didn't tell me  was that I should have  stirred it first. It was vodka and cranberry juice, but the vodka was sitting on top so I got most of the vodka in the first gulp. Whoa! Potent! I should say here that I'm not much of a drinker. I maybe have five drinks a year. So I'm a cheap date.  For the whole night, I only had three drinks. I was appropriately buzzed but able to enjoy it and laugh a lot.

Not being much of a drinker, I'm always amazed at  how different I feel when I do drink. What is it that makes all those inhibitions go way. Well, ok, not all of the inhibitions, but some of them anyway. I think I had my husband a little scared when I whispered one of my fantasies in his ear (something about being under a table  and trying to ruffle his feathers). He smiled, like he thought it sounded like fun, but he immediately told me he wouldn't be getting me any more of those little  vodka/cranberry thingies. We've been married for 27 years and the man was so shocked by my idea that he actually blushed. I say he has no spirit of adventure. It was his  one shot in life at seeing me take a walk on the wild side and he blew it! LOL Actually, I probably wouldn't have done it, but it sure was fun to imagine!

So, anyway, that was the cardiology party. Tonight it's back to the scrubs and coffee. Back to being straight-laced me. As for my husband, he asked me this morning, "So how long have you had that little fantasy?" I just smiled. Something tells me that he's a little sorry that he didn't call my bluff. I bet he won't be calling me Donna Reed again in the very near future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

as I was reading this, I felt something underneath my desk......just the family dog!
 I'm heading out to the store now for some Vodka and cranberry juice!
  Marc :)

Anonymous said...

This was funny. Your husband sounds a lot like mine.

I remember the time I shocked the heck out him one time. I actually did the one fantasy he'd always asked me to do, and he blew it too!

I won't tell you how he blew it, but in case you're wondering about the fantasy, I discovered how hard it is to walk up steps in a restaurant wearing a short skirt and sans panties!

Maryanne

Anonymous said...

LOL!  See, I sense a kindred spirit here...right down to the drinking (I'm a cheap date, too).  I've dated two cardiologists, so I have a cardiologist joke for you:  What's the difference between God and a cardiologist?

I'll post the answer separately.

:)

Judi

Anonymous said...

God doesn't think he's a cardiologist.

;p

Good one, huh?

Judi
http://emmapeeldallas.blogspot.com