Tuesday, January 17, 2006

So starts the journey

  I've been reading Dr Phil's book SELF MATTERS. I think I always suspected that I wasn't living through my authentic self, ok I know that I haven't been. But when you take those tests in there and realize how far off the mark you truly are, well, it's quite disheartening.

I've made a couple of New Year's resolutions. Same ones I make every year. First on the list is to not procrastinate. As is par for me, it's now the 18th of January and I haven't gotten there yet. You guessed it, I've been putting it off. But, anyway, I've decided that for me to be able to make the changes I want and need to make in my life, I first need to get in touch with my "authentic self". So, Dr. Phil and I are on a mission. Authentic self, here I come.    

One of the things I've leaned so far is how we allow family and friends to tell us who we are rather than really being who we are. It's starts when we're children, and then the layers just keep piling up. I'm under here somewhere. I plan to peel off these layers and layers of life and circumstances and find out just who the heck that girl is under all of the BS and expectations. I suspect that this is not going to be a particularly pleasant adventure. It's like looking into a mirror and resisting the urge to close your eyes. But, I'm going to look. I'm going to be totally honest with myself. I'm going to define who I am for myself. Come hell or high water I am going to find the me I'm intended to be and I'm going to make friends with her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!  You make me want to find the "real" me too.  I just might have to go out and buy that book myself.

Thanks,


Sheri

Anonymous said...

LOL!  You're not gonna believe this (yep, actually, I think you are) but I'm reading Dr. Phil's Life Strategies.  I, too, am a great procrastinator, as well as Living In Denial - and I really, really need to move on, but ohhhhh, how I drag my heels - for what it's worth, one of the things that I like about your journal is your authenticity - and I'm sure I'll enjoy getting to know the you that you find as you make your way through that book.  

Judi

p.s. - don't you love Dr. Phil?