Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Feeling Guilty!

My phone rang a few minutes ago. I've learned to check caller ID before answering. It was the hospital calling. I debated with myself about answering. I decided to wait and see what message they would leave  instead of answering. Well, guess what. They wanted to know if I would work Thanksgiving evening. We work  every other holiday. Last year was my Thanksgiving to work. When I got to work last year they came  to me and asked me if I would work a double shift. I figured since I was already there  and my holiday was already screwed up, why not. They gushed about how grateful they were and told me that since I was doing them such a huge favor that they would do everything within their power to give me Christmas Eve  off. Well, Christmas Eve came  and  they didn't call me  off. 

 My newly married daughter and her husband are  having Thanksgiving at their house. I'm doing the cooking, but it's at their house.  We're planning to eat around 1:00, so realistically I could work at 3:00 I suppose. But, darn it, I don't want to!!! 

In the middle of typing the above, the hospital called back. I again didn't answer, this time it was my manager, I dearly love her and she knows this. Her message was more pleading than the staffing clerk that called earlier. I hate it when they do this to me. If  I say I'll work, my family will be very upset with me. But, if I don't work, then I feel like I'm letting  a lot of people down . 

 I have to work Christmas Day evening this year  and New Years Eve.  I know, wha -wha! But darn it, I don't want to work Thanksgiving too!  They call me because they know I always cave in and agree to work. There are those that I work with that never ever work an extra shift for any reason. I always feel guilty because I know the patients don't want to be there on a holiday either, and someone has to take care of them. I don't know what to do.

I have to call them and give them some kind of answer. I'm going to go take a walk, maybe if I walk around the block a few times and keep chanting, No, No, No, No, No, No, it will be easier to say no when I call them back.  Yeah, riiiiight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that they choose to call you speaks volumes about who you are!
Devoted, conscientous, sincere.......Now you must be sincere and conscieuntous to your family..its their day to have you in their company!
 "feeling guilty" is not enough of a reason ....The Memory and the warmth spent with your loving ones will transcend the "guilt" of letting your employer down.
Good Luck and happy Thanksgiving!   Marc :)

Anonymous said...

Marc,

Bless your heart! It makes so much sense when I look at it like that! I called my husband and my daughter and asked them what I should do, they both said, "NO WAY!" So, I will call them back and tell them no. And I will use your logic to try and not feel guilty.

While I was walking, I also realised that the people who called and asked me to do this don't work holidays. They have every weekend and holiday off. I'm going to keep that in mind when I'm telling them no also.

Thanks for your caring advice. I am going to take it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, my friend.
Melissa