Wednesday, November 2, 2005

  Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures,
costs nothing, and conveys much.

-- Erastus Wiman
 

 Isn't this the beautiful truth!! It seems like such a simple no-brainer to me and yet every day we see evidence of people who have forgotten or never learned this simple rule.

I think we sometimes get so busy with "stuff" that we forget that we are not lone travelers in the universe. We forget that the way we treat others even by just passing them in a hallway or on a sidewalk can have a profound affect on them and eventually everyone they meet that day. Think back to a time when a stranger smiled at you, or had a kind word. Didn't it instantly lighten your load just a little bit. I know it has mine. I think we often think that it takes a grand gesture or a big production to "do something for someone". But ya know what, it doesn't.

Try a little experiment tomorrow and just give a genuine smile and a friendly "hello" to people you come in contact with in passing. Crown yourself the King or Queen of Cheer for one day. Go out of your way to do something nice for someone. It doesn't have to be a big thing. Be really corny and buy a bag of hugs....give hugs out tomorrow. I'm going to do this also. I bet we will be amazed at how much better our days go and how our own outlooks will improve.

You might think that what I've said here isn't really about courtesy, that it's just about being happy and smiling at people. But, isn't that the greatest courtesy we can grant? I know that I count it as a courtesy when someone acknowledges me in a  kind way. Come on...."out courtesy" everyone tomorrow.

Oh, and let me know how it turns out. ;)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Thanks for your mail. Love your article. American Drifter can be found by using AOL Journals and Home Page search. I'm new to computers and am puzzled as to how to link it. I'm technologically pre-historic. I have to call them on the phone.       Russell     Helmsr@aol.com