Thursday, November 3, 2005

The Queen of Procrastination!

If there is a medal for it....I win hands down. Every year it's my New Year's Resolution to stop procrastinating. Why do I do it? There has to be some deep convuluted reason deep down in the recesses of my mind for it. When I don't procrastinate, things go so much smoother. I know this. I know this to be so true and yet, time after time I procrastinate.

October 31 was the deadline for renewing my nursing license. I only work three evenings a week. This week my scheduled days were Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Since Monday was Halloween I had arranged to be off to be home with Austin and to work Friday instead. I knew that proof of my license renewal had to be turned in to the nursing office at work before I could work. Last week, somehow, October 31 (although I knew differently, I honestly did!) seemed like an eternity away  to me. PLUS the fact that I wasn't working on the 31st and would have until November 3 to get my proof into the right hands, I procrastinated myself into a nailbiting trip to the mailbox yesterday afternoon. I have to work today. If I don't have my license turned in by 3:00, I can't work.  I had asked several people that I work with how long it had taken them to get their license in the mail after renewing online. Everyone said, 2 to 3 days. So what did I do? I waited until last Thursday to renew online. In my addled brain, I imagined going to the mailbox on Monday (a day I didn't have to work mind you) and pulling out my renewed license. It wasn't there. It wasn't there Tuesday, it wasn't there yesterday. I am scheduled to work today. My license isn't here yet. I am supposed to be at work at 3:00. My mail will come today at 3:00. Why do I do this to myself?

There has to be some deep rooted self defeating evil alter ego here.  I can't blame this on anyone but myself.  It's a major character flaw and I have got to stop it. I think I will put signs up all over my house that say, "Just do it NOW".  I'm so mad at myself.

But you know, all of my problems today pale in comparison to what my friend Pam (Just One Girls Head Noise )is dealing with. I wish I had a magic wand to wave over her life and turn it right side up again. Please say a prayer for her.

UPDATE: I was saved! While nosing around on the Board of Nursing site, I found a place you could pay to get verification. I paid, the measley buck and printed verification that I am, indeed, licensed to practice. Yippee. I guess we'll see how much I learned from this next year. I will say, right here, right now. The very day that I get my papers for renewal in the mail next year, I'm sending them back in immediately!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on pulling it out at the last minute lol  doesn't it feel wonderful to be saved in the nick of time??
and thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers ..
sending you hugs
pamela

Anonymous said...

I'm a big procrastinator myself!  I really enjoyed this entry, and love your journal.  I'll be back!

Judi