Thursday, November 10, 2005

I Really Do LOVE My Job!

  I am a kind of tired that I haven't been in a long time. My two week work schedule usually is as follows: Monday, Thursday, Saturday,Sunday,Wednesday, and Friday. You'll notice that the only two days I work in a row are every other weekend. My other days are spaced apart. I do this for a reason. You see, more likely than not work is CRAZY. From a few entries ago you'll see why. So, when I have one of those nights I can get myself through them by telling myself, "You're off tomorrow, you can get through this". And it works, for the most part. I have time to remind myself why I love my job on my days off and I am able to go in and handle those rough nights. Well, these past two weeks have been waaaay off the norm. It started when I requested to be off on Halloween so I could be home with Austin for trick or treating. My boss said, "Sure I'll give you that night off, but could you work Friday for me instead?" Sure, I said. Well, that made my schedule Th, Fri, Sat, and Sun. It was worth it, I told myself. When I got to work that Friday, my boss asked me if I could work Tuesday (she had a hole in the schedule), instead of my normal Friday this week. Sure, I said! Oh my gosh, had I just said YES? By agreeing to that I had scheduled myself for 6 out of 7 nights.On Tuesday when I got to work, this same boss (who I truly liked before this week) came up to me all smiley and lovey like and said, "Melissa, Shalane has to attend the stroke class tomorrow, could you come in and relieve her at Noon? (I work the 3-11:30 shift)  Before I even knew what I was saying I heard myself say, "Sure!". It was official, I'd  lost all sense. People, I don't work full time....and now I know why!!!

 

  As more proof of my loss of good sense, I offer this: I wore a new pair of shoes to work that lovely 12 hour shift last night! I know better than that, I truly do. I got a new pair of those ugly Croc shoes...you know the rubber thingys that are lightweight and UGLY! But they are so comfortable! Well, they are comfortable if you're not planning on walking 500 miles nonstop. They have no support. I drug myself home at 1:00 this morning dreading each time my croc'd feet would touch the floor. Won't do THAT again!  

 

 Oh, and I got a flu shot before starting work on Tuesday. Felt great Tuesday. Last night I had this vague ache all over my body and I swear I think I had a low grade temp.   I literally drug myself home. Fell in a chair and died! I woke up in that chair at 11:00 this morning. My husband and son got Austin on the bus this morning, bless them. I didn't hear a thing.  

 

So now I have 4 days off. Guess what I'm doing today? As I was typing this, the phone rang. Caller ID says it's work. Not for any amount of money would I have answered that phone. I know that within 30 seconds I would have been saying, "Sure!". They can hold the fort down without me today.   I gleaned some pretty funny stories from these six days. If I weren't so spent I'd tell them to you right now. But I think the couch is looking for a potato and I'm good potato material today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your free time!  Kick off those shoes and slip into one of these  :)
..you deserve it!...Marc :)

Anonymous said...

Thank God for Caller Id, right? You have some R&R time ahead of you...take full advantage off the time to catch your breath


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

It's taken me YEARS, but I've finally learned to say "no"...and it sounds like you need to learn that too!  Otherwise, nice human being that you are, you'll be taken advantage of!  Just practice: "nooooooooooo, nooooooooooooooo, nooooooooooooooo..."

:)

Judi
http://journals.aol.com/emmapeeldallas/talkingtomyself/