Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

I worked tonight (last night), since it's 5:39 AM Thursday and I haven't been to bed yet, I'm not sure  what to call it. So, let's  just call it CRAZY! I feel like I've been wrestling all  day. At work I wrestled with a little old lady to keep her in bed. I wrestled with a little old man to keep him on the unit (he was convinced that he'd forgotten to lock the front door, bless his heart). Let's just say that work was a challenge tonight. Then I come home and I wrestled with the darn turkey.  We are deep frying a turkey at my daughter's for Thanksgiving, but I also wanted to bake  (or is it roast) one. The one that we're going to deep-fry is at Sarah's house  awaiting the  master of turkey frying. I was planning to get up very early and take this turkey to Sarah's in the morning to bake  (roast) it. But the thought of waking up early is so vile to me that I decided I'd rather stay up late (I think I got a tad carried away, however), and bake it here . Anyway, it took me a good 30 minutes to wrestle the neck out of that darn bird. You know that little bag that they stick the neck and giblets in before they tuck it inside the bird? Well, the bag inside my turkey was in upside down, so when I tried to pull it out the neck slipped out the other end and stayed in the turkey. I tried every which way to get the neck out of that cavity and it just wasn't coming. I could have untucked the drumsticks from that neat little pocket they fashion and gotten the neck out pretty easily I suppose, but I've done that before and then was unable to do that little leg-tuck thing they do (how DO they do that anyway?). So, I wrestled the neck for thirty minutes. I used every gadget I could find in my drawers to pull it out, no luck. I finally stood there in my kitchen laughing hysterically at myself thinking what a picture it must have made. I was alone, however, because the sane people that live in this house were all asleep hours ago. Then, I got my hand stuck inside the turkey. Finally, I got it out. Turkey is in the roasting bag, in the oven. Now, my problem is that if I lie down for a bit, I know I'll not wake up when the oven timer goes off. So, I have to stay awake until the turkey is done. Of course, by then, I'll be so exhausted I won't be worth a nickle. I've decided it would have been much easier to have cooked this meal here at my house instead of taking it to my daughter's and doing it. But, it's too late to change that now. And besides, she is very excited to have her first "holiday" in her new home. So, I'll load up and drag all the ingredients to her house and smile while I do it. All of this probably makes no sense, as I'm slap-happy and sleep deprived, but I had to do somehthing while the bird is cooking.

I love Thanksgiving. It's not about gifts. It's the one holiday that they haven't managed to commercialize. It's about being with people you love and eating.  What could be better than that? Plus, think of all those wonderful turkey and mayonaise sandwiches all weekend. Yum!

May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Mine will probably end abruptly as I collapse in the mashed potato's.

I love being a Mom!

This is in my morning email:  Too funny!

Although it might be a celebration day for many people, you Crabs could be the ones who have to hold down the fort. Normally you enjoy being part of the cooking team for Thanksgiving, but today it might seem like more of a chore than usual. Don't waste energy complaining. If you do what is expected, you can experience joy from the closeness of family and friends.

 

 

No comments: