Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Gosh, where does the time go?

Things have been hectic around here with school letting out for the summer and moi living in the back yard working in my flowers. I sure hope the house police don't show up around here any time soon or I'll be under house arrest for sure. I find it very hard to stay inside this time of year. I am happiest when I'm working in the yard. My joy in it has been somewhat tempered this year when I was given the reminder that our resources here on earth are not necessarily  an endless supply. I will be the first to admit that I'm not a very conscientious citizen. I don't give a lot of thought to what gasoline motors do to our environment. I don't worry much about the ozone. It's not that I don't care about those things because I do. I guess I just get caught up in the more major issues of getting through everyday life that I don't think of the broader picture. I'm ashamed of myself for that. I'm trying to figure out how to have the yard that I absolutely love to work in and still be a good citizen. I put in so many flowers and they all require a lot of maintenance. I have to water every single day or they will die. As I've watered for the past several days I've been very conscious of every drop of water I've used. I've stopped the broad watering I've done in the past in favor of "spot" watering. I put the water directly on the root of the plants and am careful to not be watering the surrounding area that doesn't need the water. I hope that this will make some difference. I entertained the idea of not planting my flowers next year. If I were a very dedicated steward of the earth I would carry through with that. However, I know me. I would be surly and cranky if I weren't able to be in my yard and be surrounded by color. So much of life is void of color. Sometimes our lives are so mundane and drab and can be downright depressing. When I'm working in my flowers and even when I'm just looking out the window, the colors that I see make my heart happy. Colorful flowers are the best medicine for me. My neighbors enjoy my flowers too. I've created a kind of oasis in my back yard that many people don't know exists. It's so much fun for me when people from the neighborhood see it for the first time and say, "I had no idea all this was back here!" It's my baby. It's my therapy. It's my anti-depressant. Is that terribly selfish of me? Don't answer that. I had planned on adding some new features this year. I have decided to take the high road and not do it.

But, my bubble baths...sorry, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my!  Those flowers are so beautiful, and I am so with you on this, as you well know.  Flowers are MY therapy too!  I look forward to having them, and keep them as long as possible.  I don't think it's selfish at all (but I guess I'm probably not exactly unbiased!).  :)

In this drought (and it's terrible here; two houses in our neighborhood burned down last week, when sparks from the one set the other on fire)...in this drought, my lawn is horrible, but my flowers are beautiful...and so are yours!  And I have two big pots of purple petunias just outside my front door.  Scary, huh?

XO

Judi