Friday, June 9, 2006

(More Verbena. I told you I loved it. I have it everywhere!)

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
--Henry David Thoreau

I love quotes and get several of them in my email every day. I think this one arrived yesterday or the day before. It has stayed on my mind. Very simple words, really. But think about them. They become pretty profound after they roll around in your gray matter for a while. Think of the many ways that this can apply to your life.Everything, from looking at a pile of dishes in the sink  to contemplating family dynamics can benefit from looking at them through the filter of this quote. I used this quote this morning to save myself from despair when I walked into my messy kitchen. Instead of bemoaning the fact that I had a mess to clean up, I was grateful that I had a job to go to yesterday which made me very tired last night. Patrick and Amber went out to dinner and then came back here and sat around the kitchen table with me and talked and laughed and looked at old pictures. I enjoyed it very much. I could have cleaned up the kitchen instead of sitting down with them. But I didn't. So, this morning I had a mess to face first thing. But what I saw instead of the mess was the fact that I had enjoyed Patrick and Amber's company last night. Dirty dishes are an every day occurance. Quality time with my kids isn't. That's worth far more to me than a pristine kitchen.

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said!     To look at at a sink of dishes and only see the mess, and only "see"the laziness of those who placed them there, only means you are "looking" at one thing...Your own inability to see and feel the bigger picture...
...........that sink of dishes, represents the remnants of the joy that your loving ones had in eating the food you prepared or provided for them!...They enjoyed a meal because of you!
I would much rather see a pile of empty dishes, than have a clean and empty sink because 1) I had no one around to share my food and drink with  2) I was too poor to provide them with a meal......

Its sad to see the faces at a"soup kitchen"....its a blessing to see the dishes piled up in the sink there...for now they have eaten!

Yes, "looking is not seeing"!

tossing you the towel...."its your turn to wipe!"

Have a joyous day!    Marc :)

Anonymous said...

I love that Thoreau quote.  It made me think of this one:

Two men looked through prison bars
One saw mud
The other, stars.

Dunno who said that, but it's the same sentiment...and like Frost said, I am out for stars, everytime.

XO

Judi