Sunday, June 25, 2006

I don't have a dog, my dog has me!

I had wanted a Golden Retriever for a very long time. I've always thought they were such pretty dogs and I'd always heard how good natured they were. Two years ago, my kids got me one for my birthday. I named him Tucker, it just seemed to fit the little ball of fur that resembled a little bear cub. Here he is the very first day he came to live with us.

If this isn't "cute" in action, I don't know what is!! I wasn't with them when they picked him out. I knew they had gone to get him (he was supposed to be a her, and her name was going to be Abby), but since it was a birthday gift, I let Patrick and Sarah pick him out and Austin and I stayed home waiting anxiously. Here are some pictures that they took of him with his mother before they brought him home.

And here is one of Patrick playing with Tucker and his brother. Tucker is the one on the left.

I fell in love instantly. How could you NOT? This is the most loving animal I've ever been around. He was house broken in a matter of days. He minded us very well almost from day one. He began to learn some obedience commands within a week and was doing little tricks like "roll over" within about 3 weeks. This dog lives to please us. He will not be ignored. He wants to be petted and loved on all the time. He would be a lap dog if we'd let him, but we don't allow him on the furniture. But if we're on the floor, watch out! In your lap isn't close enough, he just can't get close enough to you. If you have the audacity to ignore him, he'll remedy the situation. I can't count how many times I've had a coffee cup in my hand and on the way to my mouth when he's tucked his head under my elbow to tell me he wants my arm around him. Can you picture what this does? Yep, coffee everywhere! Then he looks at you with those big old brown eyes as if to say, "I'm sorry, I just wanted a hug". He can sense things. He seems to know when we're tired, or sad. When I come home from work at night to a housefull of sleeping people, there's Tucker waiting at the door for me. I'll come in and sit down and he puts his head in my lap and gives me the sweetest look. Often times he will sigh, very deeply, while he's looking up at me in this position. If he could talk he would say, "I've missed you!". He loves so unconditionally.

Here are some more recent pictures of him:

Here he is with Patrick and Austin (and Sarah's arm).

You might be wondering what prompted this entry. Well, I'll tell ya. I was just sitting here playing Poppit on the computer and as usual, Tucker was lying on top of my feet. It's a very comfortable and reassuring thing to have a soft, warm dog lying on your feet! Then, he sat up and put his head in my lap and gave me that adoring look. At that moment, I wanted everyone to know  that warm, fuzzy feeling. You know, you just can't out-love a dog.

Sure, he sheds. I probably sweep up a dog and a half every day around here. We go out into the world with blonde dog hair on us every day. My kitchen floor is constantly sporting  water droplets from when he takes a drink of water. We have to guard our napkins while we eat dinner because he steals them off of our laps and eats them (for some strange reason, he loves to eat paper). And, we have to go on "poop patrol" in the back yard every day. But I wouldn't trade this big lug of loving dog for a clean floor, safe napkin, or poop-free yard. He owns me, and he's got the papers to prove it.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, he's a love, alright!  I've just started reading Marley and Me...I think you'd like it.

XO

Judi