Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Weeds In My Life

The plant in this picture is actually a weed. I dug it out of the woods at the farm. It's illegal to take in to some states. Isn't that a shame!! I think it's beautiful. I started it in one of my flower beds three years ago and I look forward to seeing it bloom every year. I think, but am not sure, that it's called Dame's Rocket. I just call it beautiful. It can be invasive, so I work to keep it in check.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting it today is that I needed a reminder that sometimes weeds can teach us things. This weed teaches me that just because the majority of people don't appreciate something doesn't mean that that thing has no value. This weed makes me happy. Because I choose to view it as a beautiful flower instead of a nuisance, my outlook changes. I need this reminder today because I have to work. The last time I worked (Thursday evening), I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad night. The memory of that night has been a weed in my mind for the past day and a half. I so don't want to go back in there today. I would rather take a beating, actually. But, I must, so I'm trying to think of Thursday night as a weed. Hopefully, that weed has bloomed in the past couple of days and tonight I will see the whole experience as a good thing.

Ok, I've almost convinced myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Good Observation!
..Yes....turn your back for a moment and a weed can overrun your garden. It burns food and wnd water faster than other smaller less heartier varities, and left un checked it will take over your garden....but you are "on guard"...keeeping a watchful eye on its growth....
We all have elements in our live that are just like weeds....some are people, some are issues, and others can be moments. Their spirit lives and breeds inside of us, taking the place of what is good....overturning the delicate.....keep those things in check, and sure enough, you will have wonderful garden within!
Thanks for the reminder...which by the way....tomorrow I have some weeding to do in my front yard! LOL
Have a great day! Marc :)

Anonymous said...

That's one of the things I love about you, Melissa!  You have such a great attitude, always.  I have a weed planted in my flowerbeds, too: Wand Loosestrife. I was shocked to see that it's illegal in some states, for spreading.  Not so here in Texas.  For several years, it's stayed tidily contained in my flower beds, and bloomed beautifully, all summer.  This summer, though, it's small but still healthy, although it's yet to bloom.  I think it might be getting old.

Oh, before I forget, do you know about this site?  www.dirtdoctor.com
It's Howard Garrett, organic gardener extraordinaire.  It's a great site.

XO

Judi